Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pipe Dreams

If I were a kajillionaire, what would I do?

I would donate a good amount of money to causes that I believe in. I would donate to museums, schools and libraries.

I would pay off my family members' and friends' mortgages and college bills, or at least make a sizable contribution.

I would employ a personal hairdresser and massage therapist, not every day but maybe the massage once a week and the hair dresser every other day.  I really hate washing my hair - it would be awesome to have someone else wash and style my hair (or at least do a blow-out).  It's so thick and it's such a chore!

I would invest in a nicer wardrobe - nothing ridiculous, but maybe spending $30 on a shirt here and there instead of $5.  Making the choice to buy quality that will last and always be in style over cheap, trendy items. Especially when it comes to shoes.

I would pay off the house we live in now, and either use some money to renovate things we're not 100% happy with (kitchen, basement, upstairs bathroom, electrical, new windows, yard, build on a sun porch with French doors...) or buy a new house in an awesome area that fits our needs more exactly.  But I wouldn't buy a huge-ass house.  Just doesn't seem necessary, and I'm a person who likes smaller, cozy rooms rather than giant tall ceilings and open-concept floor plans.  Give me a rabbit warren instead of a cathedral any day!

Once a month, I would dine out and pay for a random person's dinner.  And of course I would tip generously.

I'd continue to work, but since I'd be a kajillionaire I could focus on doing work that speaks to me and has meaning to me rather than just working someplace to pay the bills.  Perhaps we could do something awesome like open an animal shelter, a youth center, or just running the coolest used books and miscellany store ever.

I would preserve historic buildings and protect wildlife. I would visit museums more often and I would travel more.  I would take some college courses in the subjects I'm truly interested in, maybe getting a Master's degree in whatever my final muse ends up being.

I think we are all continually learning and changing - it's ludicrous to ask someone to decide what they want to do with the next 40 to 70 years of their life at the ripe old age of 18 (or younger).  There are so many things I would change if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment