Monday, August 6, 2012

A Strange and Busy Weekend

To all those who have been reading, sorry for the lapse in posts over the weekend!  We had a busy time.  We saw our photographer on Saturday, and took our engagement photos (followed by pizza and bowling).

I'll be following up with a more honeymoon-related post later today, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the latest news.

I'm sure you have all heard about the shooting at the Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI.  This is an area I am very familiar with; we used to go shopping at the Woodmans down there all the time when we lived downtown.  It really hits home for me, as the church I attend had a "rainbow spirituality" day on Sunday where the sermon touched upon being accepting of all people (LGBT in particular, but also people of all colors and religions).  Many people were wearing the tye-dye shirts they had made the week before, or rainbow colors.  I had on my rainbow pride button, but regular clothes.  If someone with enough hate in their heart had known about our service that day, they could have come in and done the same thing to us.

In fact, a few years ago a congregant did bring a gun into this church.  She wasn't trying to hurt anyone - just touting her gun because she wanted to - but it brings into perspective how easily weapons can be in our midst in a place where we feel safe.  At any rate, it's scary because it could happen to anyone.

I actually walked home from church that day, which was a 4 mile walk.  I wouldn't do this normally, but it was SUCH a gorgeous day, and Super Fiance was staying for a meeting that I couldn't sit through.  On my walk I saw several unusual things.

I saw a little girl on her training-wheels bike nearly get run over by a jerk in a big white pickup truck, who was flying down a residential street much too fast.  I saw a lawn care sign that also said "We rent horse and pony rides!" on the bottom.  I saw a dead mole (so soft).  I saw the Flight for Life helicopter flying over me, headed for Froedtert Hospital (which I would later figure out was probably carrying the wounded Oak Creek police officer who engaged the Sikh temple shooter).  I saw a mostly-naked woman with cat ears and tail, covered in blue body paint coming out of the woods.

I walked and walked until my feet were burning (I wasn't wearing proper walking attire), but I made it almost all the way home.  Super Fiance caught up with me two blocks from our house and picked me up.  This is when we turned on the TV and heard about what had happened.  Full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment