Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Motivation

Today's topic: motivation.  What motivates you?  It depends, right?

For example, right now I'm being motivated to keep my dishes from piling in the sink and my bathroom from growing its own hair by excitement over the prospect of seeing my friends and family on Saturday.  A ticking clock or a shriveling calendar are good motivators, which I think is a good thing.  I'm not a procrastinator on my own.  I've always liked to get projects done right away so that I don't have to think about them again until right before they're due, when I polish them and make sure all the loose ends are secured, then I'm done!  A+ (Or at least something B and above.... which is good enough for me.)

I always hated group projects in college.  I'm something of a natural leader, and I was a good student.  Couple those facts with my lack of desire to procrastinate, and I ended up doing a lot of the work on several projects.  I'd tell myself I didn't care, so long as we got a good grade.  But everyone knows deep down you never really forgive those people on your project team for being terrible at time management or project execution.

Oh well.   That's part of what makes the clock and the calendar your friends.  It motivates other people.  So even though I may have been planning our honeymoon for 6 months (not much of an exaggeration), if no one has been with me on the importance of making these decisions now, just wait.  When we're down to two weeks before the departure date, it will suddenly become important to everyone else involved, and I will step in and say "Aha!  Here is what I think of that."  Problem solved (hopefully).

Except when it comes to hotels, where even I fell prey to a false sense of having "so much time".  Dang it, hotels!!

But then there's exercising, the one area where I can't seem to tell myself to "Dude, get on that already".  But today, as I was out walking on my lunch break, I found myself thinking back to Zombieland.  You know, "Rule #1: Cardio".


Is it weird that I think about life in Zombieland I Am Legend terms sometimes?  I think about what locations have non-perishable food, but might not seem obvious (like office buildings- shhhh), so that once the mobs completely loot the Walmarts and grocery stores, I'll know where to go.  

The same thing goes for exercise.  I sometimes think about whether I'd make it if I had to run for my life or climb trees or something, and honestly I wouldn't.  I have never done one successful chin-up in my life.  So that's something that motivates me.  And no, I'm not worried about zombies.  But you never know when you'll need to survive a natural disaster or a nuclear holocaust.  Aside from right place-right time luck and some general survival know-how (and maybe some good old ingenuity), your physical condition can make or break you.  

I want to live!!!

Okay that was weird enough.  Back again later, but if not it's because I'm either watching Dexter, doing dishes, or celebrating with my fabulous ladies!  Obviously I'll be coming back to update on all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment