Saturday, August 11, 2012

Honeymoon Registries

Today's episode: honeymoon registries.

When we first started planning our wedding, we weren't sure what we wanted to do for a honeymoon, or if we'd even take one.  Wild ideas of Italy fluttered in our minds, but thoughts of getting passports (or in my case, a renewed passport) and saving all that dough put us off.  Then we bought a house, and things became even more uncertain.  I started socking away a few hundred dollars each month, if I could spare it.  I also saved the bulk of my sizable tax refunds, which I was fortunate enough to receive in 2010 and 2011 tax years due to my student status in 2010 and our major home purchase in 2011 (this year I won't be so lucky - maybe I should buy a second house!!! kidding... ).

Then we decided our furnace needed to go (the thing dated back to the 1960's, it was time), and in its place we should include an air conditioner, where none had gone before.  GREAT decision that turned out to be (hottest July ever, what?).

At the beginning of the summer, as we were preparing to send out our invitations, we were feeling a bit strapped for cash and decided to set up a honeymoon registry.  You can see ours here.   I took lots of care to research potential activities and attractions (coming soon in a future post), and itemized each activity by cost so that our friends and family could "buy" us an experience, or a meal, or a night in a hotel - whatever!

So far, no takers except for my future mother-in-law, bless her.  I am nervous that no one else is going to use the honeyfund!

2 comments: