Thursday, August 30, 2012

Not Related to Wedding and/or Honeymoon!

Shocking!  A post about something totally unrelated to the theme of this blog.  But here it is...

As you may know, I like to read Young House Love every day.  I usually love most of the stuff they do over there, even if it's something I wouldn't do myself.

But this recent post has me a little puzzled!  It makes me upset actually.  The post is about how Clara, the bloggers' young daughter, has a Little Tykes basketball hoop of the red, white and blue variety:

From AmericanListed.com
I'm not necessarily a huge fan of it either, but Sherry, Clara's mom and the co-author of the blog, decided to spray paint it Oil-Rubbed Bronze (her favorite variety of spray paint) so that it wouldn't stick out so much in their carport from the curb.  Now it basically disappears, which makes me kind of sad.

Someone commented that the colors are probably meant to help kids learn coordination and to distinguish the background from the foreground.  Making it one color makes the object "flat", as this person said, and more difficult for a young kid to find the basket.

Now I don't think Clara will have any trouble with finding the basket, since 1) she's played with it in full color already, and 2) she's getting old enough to not have trouble with coordination as much.  But it still takes it out of the realm of "kids' toy", for me.

I probably would have kept the white backboard and maybe ORB-ed the red ring, but painted the blue stand yellow to match their front door.  I'm being really particular and it doesn't matter in ANY WAY, I know.

But it still bugged me that she just slapped ORB all over it.  It also feels invasive to me, like what if Clara liked it better with colors?  Sherry claims in the comments that Clara loves the hoop still and calls it her "shiny shiny hoop" (or something).  I'm sure she is just as thrilled with it as before.

But still!  What about the next child that comes along (if any), or what about donation or resale down the road?  Just seems short-sighted to me to slap ORB on everything just so that it's not visible from the curb.  Put it away or something, instead, if it bugs you so much!

/ irrelevant rant

No comments:

Post a Comment